Friday, October 10, 2008

The Sky is Falling, The Sky is Falling!

Yep, that's what I keep hearing on the television, reading about in the paper, and the radio talk shows are all screaming that the financial sky is falling!

It is interesting when you think about it, if I say that I can jump to the moon does that make that statement true? I used to be able to slam on the basketball court, I had great hang time, grab the rim, block shots and now, I get excited it I can throw a piece of wadded up paper into the trash can!

The financial folks are all screaming that the sky is falling and we are headed for depression. The word depression causes visions of soup lines wrapped around the block. Apples for sale on carts at a nickel and shabby clothed people pushing them around. When they scream depression, well it makes many depressed. Just because people are saying the sky if falling doesn't make it so.

Sure all of us will have to tighten our belts, and for many that might be a good thing! Just a few weeks I heard people all screaming about the price of gasoline and how we had to do something to lower the costs! People yelling I would do anything if we could just get these prices down! Last night in a near by city the price of gas was at $2.98 and people were lined up! There you have the price of gasoline is down and we are not happy.

The Dow Jones, that magic number ticker that says that we are or are not making money is dropping lower and lower and we are afraid. The global markets are looking to us, the United States of America to help fix it all. These are the same countries that hate the United States but at the same time crave the American dollar! Sure the numbers are lower, the interest rates are falling, we are in the middle of one of the most important Presidential elections in decades (maybe centuries), and people's confidence level in our leadership in congress is the lowest EVER! Thanks Steve, now I hear you saying that the sky is falling!

No I am not saying that the sky is falling what I am saying is that these are some hard and bad times that are coming. Facts are not causing panic! Failure to look at and realize the things that we see are pure denial and that is not a good thing.

Here's the deal when things are bad, "What are you going to do about it?" You have to make plans on what to do and how to do and when to do it.

For me and my house we will serve the Lord! I was almost in a panic the other day as the stock market fell, tripped or tumbled and I realized that money I have to retire on someday was being affected big time! I almost started to wring my hands and say what are we going to do? I ran to the coffee shop to get a cup of coffee, the regular kind by the way not the latte, yada, yada, yada, kind. As I pulled out my dollar to pay for the cup I saw something that reminded me it was going to be OK.

"In God We Trust"; it was on my money and now I have to make sure it is in my heart.

So I am planning on working hard to make sure that I hold onto this simple fact and live it out, In God We Trust. In God I trust even though those around me may be saying "The Sky Is Falling!"

No comments: